Noxious Weeds

Identifying and controlling invasive plant species in our community.

Photo by Gabor Gardonyi

What are noxious weeds?

The problem of noxious, non-native weeds proliferating in our region is severe.

Noxious weeds overrun native vegetation, destroy natural animal habitat, shelter undesirable insects, steal scarce water, infest crops and cost local communities in terms of visual blight, a reduction of property values and lost agricultural dollars. Some noxious weeds are poisonous to humans, livestock, and wildlife.

Seeds from noxious weeds are spread by foot and vehicular traffic along our roadways and through our public lands. Many property owners unknowingly have these non-native, noxious weeds growing in their yards and fields, which aggravates the situation.

Why does Maupin control the spread of noxious weeds?

Controlling these invasive plants is important because they cause harm to our region and affect livability in the following ways:

  • Recreation: Thorny, spiky plants make trails and streams inaccessible and can damage tires.
  • Real Estate Values: The presence of noxious weeds detracts from neighborhood appeal and lowers real estate values.
  • Agriculture: The cost of controlling weeds in local crops drives up food prices.
  • Rangeland: Invasive plants are often flammable and increase fire intensity and frequency and crowd out forage plants.
  • Environment: Invasive species out-compete native species, decreasing biodiversity and wildlife habitat.

Did you know? Invasive plant species cost Oregon more than $83 million a year. If left unchecked, there is a potential annual loss of $1.8 billion, according to the Oregon Department of Agriculture.

Who is responsible for controlling noxious weeds?

Wasco County has an active noxious weed eradication program. Herbicides are used to treat roadside vegetation along County roads. Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) manages noxious weeds on state highways, including Highway 197 in Maupin.

On private property, Oregon law states that control of noxious weeds is the responsibility of every landowner and resident of Oregon.

Maupin Municipal Code 9.10.090 states that: It shall be the duty of an owner or person in charge of property to cut down or to destroy grass, shrubbery, brush, bushes, weeds or other noxious vegetation as often as needed to prevent them from becoming unsightly, from becoming a fire hazard or, in the case of weeds or other noxious vegetation, from maturing or from going to seed.

How can I identify and control noxious weeds on my property?

The best practices for removing invasive plants differ with each species. Some weeds can be eradicated simply by pulling them from the ground; others may need an herbicide applied to completely eliminate their root system and prevent seed germination.

Refer to the resources provided to learn how to identify noxious weeds and the best methods for effective and safe removal.

How to Dispose of Noxious Weeds in Your Yard

Yard Debris

Put pulled noxious weeds and invasive plants in yard debris bags (available at City Hall) and drop them off at Maupin’s Recycling Depot, which is open year-round. 

Outdoor Burning

Burning is permitted during certain times of the year and under the right conditions. If you choose to burn yard debris piles, you must obtain a burn permit and follow safe burning practices. 


Oregon Department of Agriculture
Information about the noxious weeds in Oregon, the impact of the plants, and what is being done to manage invasive plant species throughout the state.

OSU Extension Service
Provides resources on how to get rid of noxious weeds and resources for controlling them in your yard.

Native Plant Society of Oregon
Organization that promotes native plants in Oregon and provides information about the best ways to get rid of invasive and noxious plants.

Wasco County Weed & Pest Department
Information about the noxious weed program in Wasco County. Jefferson and Deschutes counties also provide information about identifying and controlling invasive plant species in the area.